Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"I have never been more alone!"

Let’s look at Breaking Bad’s Jesse Pinkman – shall we? (Again, spoilers!)

Over the course of the series:
Drug Problem – check
Dead Girlfriend – check
Being Beaten – check
Feelings of Inadequacy – big check.
Daddy Issues – check (mommy issues too)
Humor/Charm – double check

Pinkman’s got the Angst thang going on! Two episodes ago (S3E7) he got an Angst speech du jour. I haven’t wanted to jump into the TV and hug him so much since that really sad scene where he kept calling his dead girlfriend’s phone just to hear her voicemail pick up – you know? And his Angst hasn’t had this much screen time since she died last season.

Let me give you a snippet of this speech:

“Ever since I met you, everything I have ever cared about is gone. Ruined, turned to shit, dead…I have never been more alone. I have nothing. No one…You don’t give a shit about me. You said I was no good. I’m nothing. Why would you want me, huh?”


And I’ll just add that he gives this speech from his hospital bed, through tears that fall from his one not swollen shut eye.

The character of Jesse got me into this show. I have to admit – I hated the pilot and was sort of eh about episodes two and three. But episode four? When Jesse goes home and you see his normal parents and his normal brother living their normal lives, happy that he’s gone – and then he takes the fall for baby bro’s marijuana! That was the moment when I decreed I would watch Breaking Bad.

So well done writers and Aaron Paul. The angst shines through. Keep up the good work.

1 comment:

  1. Why no Jesse love from the last season? You are totally cheating on him with Tate.

    ReplyDelete