Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Before They Were Sons: The Men of Sons of Anarchy

Sons of Anarchy returns to FX tonight, September 7th. In honor of the season three premiere, let's take a look back at the careers of the sons before they were sons.

If you're anything like me, when you first saw the show, you exclaimed (more than once), "Hey! It's the guy from X!" Or, the slow cousin of such an exclamation, "Hey! Where do I know that guy from?" Well, dear Sons of Anarchy fans, here are your answers.


Charlie Hunnam as Jax Tellar: The two things you should know about Charlie Hunnam are 1. He's English. 2. He's extremely pretty. They do a phenomenal job of hiding both these facts on Sons of Anarchy. Charlie's been around a long time. Fans of Queer as Folk would be interested to know he played the Justin-like role in the original British series. He also appeared in three episodes of Young Americans along side fellow angst hottie Ian Somerhalder. He was also a part of short lived but well loved Judd Apatow sitcom Undeclared. You may also recognize him from the Katie Holmes thriller Abandon, where he played her psycho stalker boyfriend. Or, my personal favorite, Green Street Hooligans (or Hooligans depending on where you're from) co-staring Elijah Wood. As the nutzo football hooligan Pete, his cockney accent was no where near as good as his American.



Ron Perlman as Clay Morrow: Poor Ron Perlman. So rarely does he get to play a person who looks like Ron Perlman. He's a big thick guy with a deep scary voice. So he's perfect for monsters and such. Hence his casting in the recent Guillermo del Toro Hellboy franchise. But go back a few years and Ron Pearlman was Vincent, the Beast in the oh-so-80s Beauty and the Beast series. There's a semi-old rumor going around that he'll be at least a voice in The Hobbit, but with del Toro's departure, who knows. In fact, concerning The Hobbit, who knows anything.








Mark Boone Junior as Bobby Munson: I'll be honest. Mark Boone Junior was not one of the many faces I recognized upon first watching SOA. After a career of playing characters like Greasy FBI Man in Se7en and New York Guy (a role he was apparently not credited with) in Armageddon, it was nice to meet him. He's great on SOA and maybe his future roles will have names. He also had bit parts in Die Hard 2, The Quick and the Dead, The Thin Red Line, Memento and Batman Begins. If you remember him in any of those things, you were paying more attention than I was.








Kim Coates as Tig Trager: Prison Break and CSI: Miami are probably the two things most people would recognize Kim Coates for (unless I'm underestimating the fan base of late 90s show NightMan). But, if I'm being honest, I recognized him from The Client. A fave of mine, I've seen that movie dozens of times. Kim Coates is one of the baddies (big surprise).









Tommy Flanagan as Chibs Telford: Braveheart/Gladiator. It's a toss up which you might first connect him with. Or maybe you first connect him with Awesomeness (capital A). If you're curious - his scars come from a mugging in Scotland. He's amazing on Sons, especially when he gets to be angst ridden in season two when his (ex)wife shows up.









Theo Rossi as Juice Ortiz: He's been all over television for the past few years. A couple episodes of American Dreams, a Veronica Mars, a Jericho, two Grey's Anatomys, a Lost, some Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles. All possible explanations for why I find him familiar. However, I don't specifically remember him in any of those things. He was also in Cloverfield. But he's really great on Sons! So I'll remember him from that.







Ryan Hurst as Opie Winston: Remember the Titans. Need I say more? Okay...I'll say a tiny bit more. He was a regular on Wanted - a show I've never heard of that also starred Rashida Jones and Campus Cops - another show I've never heard of that was apparently on USA. But if you've seen Remember the
Titans on ABC Family a million times like I have, you recognized him immediately as Gerry Bertier.








Johnny Lewis as Half Sack: First off - did Half Sack actually die? They left it hanging but it didn't look good. I'm sad. I liked him. But Johnny Lewis. You, like me, might remember him from The O.C. as doomed Johnny's bff Chili, or American Dreams where he was Roxanne's nerdy bf. He was also on the one season long show Quintuplets which also starred Evan Chambers from Greek.








William Lucking as Piney: Again, didn't recognize him. Sorry, Mr. Lucking. He had a part in Erin Brockovich although I can't place him. And he was Frank in The River Wild. I think I remember Frank. I think he dies. But other than that, an episode of t.v. here a nameless detective there.








Kurt Sutter as Otto: I gotta mention Kurt Sutter - creator of the show and husband to Katey Sagal (Gemma) - who plays behind bars son Otto, now nearly blind from that gruesome fight involving a broom handle. It's been a rough road for Otto what with the death of Luanne and all. Kurt Sutter was also in three episodes of The Shield for which he also wrote. Dear Mr. Sutter, hire me.




So there you have it SOA fans. The men before they were sons. Join the crew and catch Sons of Anarchy starting tonight! (Tuesday September 7 at 9:00pm of FX).



1 comment:

  1. love this show need more like it :)

    ReplyDelete