Thursday, October 27, 2011

American Horror Story: Still Loving Tate

I'm loving American Horror Story. And I'm loving the character of Tate. Last night's episode was a lot of fun and it seemed to cleverly provide us with some of the rules of this world. You have to die on the property to become a ghost. And ghosties cannot leave the property except on Halloween. Using my awesome powers of deduction, I'm pretty sold on the idea that Tate is a ghost. And look...he's sad about it!

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story Evan Peters Tate Langdon American Horror Story Tate AHS Season 1 Tate American Horror Story
First, it seems he can only leave the house on Halloween. He scheduled both his date with Violet and his outside-the-house meeting with Dr. Harmon for the same day. Second, the Kurt Cobain 90s wardrobe continues (maybe he likes Violet because she dresses like Blossom?). And finally, the variety of coffee flavors offered in the outside world just plain confuses him. Plus, it really doesn't make sense that he's not. Explain to me a scenario where he's just a living guy...

The burned man, however, I'm still on the fence about. He must be real, right? He exists outside the house. Unless he's somehow tied to Ben instead of the home, only able to be seen by others on Halloween. But why would that be?

But back to Tate. He's a great spin on angst. Poor ghost boy, trapped in a house, looking for a girl who doesn't scare easily. He's lonely and whatever his true motives are, he's really worried about Ben ending their relationship. Is he worried about disappointing someone? Constance maybe? Or getting in trouble? We don't really know much about him yet but he cries and freaks out a lot, so  I'm content with my inferred surface angst story. I'm so intrigued by what his deal is. And I also wonder how much Evan Peters knows. I think a lot of my final verdict on American Horror Story will depend on how well they've interwoven and planted whatever the hell we're going to find out during the rest of the season.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story Evan Peters Tate Langdon American Horror Story Tate AHS Season 1 Tate American Horror Story
But for now, I have fun watching American Horror Story and when it's over, I'm sad I have to wait another week for more. That's a good sign. Apart from my Tate fascination, the rest of the characters have a lot going for them as well. Last night went a long way to create sympathy for Moira and Constance. They're really not letting Ben off the hook - he's still detestable and pathetically weepy. But guest star Zachary Quinto was great and wins the award for most frequent usage of the word twink in an episode of basic cable television. I can't wait to see how they wrap up this two part Halloween episode. Too bad I have to wait a whole week.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story Evan Peters Tate Langdon American Horror Story Tate AHS Season 1 Tate American Horror Story

12 comments:

  1. I too love Tate and American Horror Story SO much it's ridiculous. I just discovered this blog, and have to say, it's pretty darn entertaining. I really enjoy your style of writing, you're super funny. Please don't leave for another year, the Angst Report simply MUST stick around. Thank you for all of your "reports", especially the AHS/Tate ones. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I'm so happy knowing I'm entertaining someone other than myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to know i am not he only one with a HUGE tate fascination

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't stop watching AHS because of him. and now i'm kind of liking the series, it's a difficult thing to do, a good horror series, and it's getting pretty interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. s2 s2 s2 I LOVEEE HIM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank god! I'm a fully grown woman with a massive crush on Tate! It´s kind of a relief knowing that I'm not alone here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It just seems we all love Tate. I'm fascinated by what he says, all his twisted messages, like the one about locking the door if you want to kill yourself

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love tateeeeeeee(L)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Tate!<3
    Lindoooooooooooooooo

    ReplyDelete