Monday, October 24, 2011

The Secret Circle: I Put A Spell On You

As much as I think Secret Circle needs some fresh male blood, I'm not overly enthusiastic with the recent turn of events. Circle member Nick Armstrong bit the big one. By which I mean he was murdered by Brian Kinney. It's not that I cared so much about the character - they could kill 99% of their cast and I'd just shrug - but some poor bland blonde actor is out of a job only to be replaced by an equally bland blonde actor. Louis Hunter, I raise a glass to your impending unemployment.

It's not all bad news. This week, the circle said goodbye to Nick prompting the first, genuine moment I've felt in the show. The line was spoken by Diana. She said, "I don't understand. That's his whole life? That's all he gets?" It was a good line. It was the perfect sentiment; exactly what a teenager might think when someone their age dies tragically.

Along with prompting the utterance of a single good line, there is one other reason to approve of Nick's death. Despite the fact that Chris Zylka seemed to study acting at The CW School of One Expression, his character Jake Armstrong has won my love. Why, you might ask?

Chris Zylka on The Secret Circle Jake Armostrong Chris Zylka on The Secret Circle Jake Armostrong
Do I love him because he's super smoldery?

Chris Zylka on The Secret Circle Jake Armostrong Chris Zylka on The Secret Circle Jake Armostrong
Do I love him because his entire family is dead and he therefore must be tortured?

Chris Zylka on The Secret Circle Jake Armostrong Chris Zylka on The Secret Circle Jake Armostrong
Do I love him because he inspires other characters to say things like, "He was a troubled young man" and "He's hurt a lot of people" and "That guy didn't care about anyone but himself" and "He'll sleep with you then dump you and leave you in a million, twisted little pieces?"

Chris Zylka on The Secret Circle Jake Armostrong Chris Zylka on The Secret Circle Jake Armostrong
Nope. It's none of those things. I love him because he inspired jealousy within Adam, thus forcing Thomas Dekker to emote.

Thomas Dekker as Adam Conant on The Secret Circle Adam Conant The Secret Circle Thomas Dekker

Go Thomas Dekker! YOU are the angst candidate from Secret Circle. If only they'd give you...something. Other than the most boring girlfriend to ever walk the earth.

Secret Circle has the moving parts of a good show, but it's just not working for me. Cassie is a snooze and I don't even know the name of that other girl. Faye is cool but they're entering the land of one dimensions with her and they need to get out quick. And they're running incredibly thin on testosterone. Who do they think is watching this show?! I can tell them right now, it's not a bunch of teenage boys pining for Pheobe Tonkin.

Adam is where it's at. Kill everyone he loves! Make him an alcoholic! Give him a disfiguring, yet conveniently off to the side scar. And do it fast, SC. Whether you like it or not, you're competing with the Angst Behemoth that is Vampire Diaries. They've got SEVEN angst ridden males.

I'm hoping Jake Armstrong, in all his Taylor Laughter clenched-jaw glory, will at least shake things up. Go ahead. Give me your best smolder.

No comments:

Post a Comment