Thursday, November 24, 2011

American Horror Story: Tate Is Rubber Man

Sigh. There it was. Tate's the Rubber Man.

I'd like to go into this more thoroughly later on, but I think the show is working very hard to demonstrate the two sides to Tate. I think it is a credit to Evan Peters that we can (I think...) tell the difference between Tate and Tate Prime.  

Just a few observations from tonight's episode. 

First - the two shots of Tate revealing that he's Rubber Man right after he's hooked up with Vivian.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon as the Rubber Man on American Horror Story AHS Tate Evan Peters Tate 
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon as the Rubber Man on American Horror Story AHS Tate Evan Peters Tate 
There was a creepy jump cut between these two shots for a reason. I believe right here we can see the clear demarkation between Tate and Tate Prime. 

Second, when Nora reached out to touch Tate's face after Tate had offed poor Chad and Patrick, he did not flinch as he did last week when Constance reached out to touch his face. I don't really know what that means apart from he hates Constance and wants to help Nora. But there it is.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story Evan Peters Tate Langdon American Horror Story Tate AHS Season 1 Tate American Horror Story
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story Evan Peters Tate Langdon American Horror Story Tate AHS Season 1 Tate American Horror Story 
Finally, Tate told Hayden that he's tired of hurting people. The "I'm tired" comment is an echo of what he said to Violet after she tried (?) to kill herself. Is Tate tired of always having to switch into Tate Prime? Does Tate have to expend energy to become Tate Prime? Are the two Tates totally aware of each other? Does the sweet, weepy Tate remember that he killed Chad and Patrick (because I still don't believe he remembers the school shooting). 

Maybe regular Tate is still a young, seventeen-year-old kid and Tate Prime is the aged, house-possesed evil version. One of my AHS buddies did point out that "good" Tate seems to have a childlike quality about him. Maybe Tate is more like Moira that we thought?! Or maybe it has to do with the presence of ladies? I don't know...

I have my fingers crossed that AHS doesn't jump the tracks in the final weeks. I'll admit, I'm a little worried that it might. Hopefully they'll have a solid season conclusion that allows for Evan Peters to be in season two. Really, that's all I care about.

10 comments:

  1. I don't like it. I don't know what else to say. I'm sad that Tate is Rubberman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Murphy did say that it was obvious who the Rubber Man is.
    I think I need time to absorb the RM is Tate, but I don't dislike it. It just shows how sick, and twisted, and psychotic Tate is.
    And, I love that Evan Peters is getting such an amazing spotlight. He's doing a great job so far. Keep it up, Evan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - I definitely think the best part of the RM reveal is that Evan Peters is now even more important to the show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the plus side, Violet and Tate could totally have the babies and mini-van now. The babies would just be hellspawn is all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, i am buying the split-personality Tate. I briefly considered the possibility of a twin - and it still *could* be so - that is also "Tate", a la Dean Koontz' Whispers from the 80's. (incestuously knocked up gal tries to hide it saying she is going to adopt her cousin's baby but it turns out she has TWINS - so she mentally twists the two to refer to themselves and each other as I, me, myself in order to hide her shame.) But this would be so...tough to sell us. I am buying the split. Poor Ghost-Boy. He has nothing on TPrime. Also - this explains so much of what has been said in the sessions - from talking about the murders & carnage & getting carnal with Vi, to "the meds are working! things are better! No more visions! Gee, I wish you were MY dad!" I thought he was BS'ing Ben. Turns out he may actually just be telling Ben the truth - as he sees it - as sweet, innocent, likely severely abused by his own dad and maybe a string of pathetic losers mom dragged home until he just sharded off - Tate. Waaaaaa! Gods help us!!! At least they are both in Love... !

    ReplyDelete
  6. And who am i kidding? He was obviously abused by Constance, though possibly through neglecting to intervene in abuse from the men she seems all-too-willing to sacrifice for...although look what she did to poor Addie. Man oh man. they have got us all, hook line sinker. Tate rips my heart right out. I am just going to skim right on by the idea of Constance molesting Tate. THe urge to hurl is so huge...& I don't even want to talk about Violet's mom-betrayal. At least she got her out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, can you or somebody tell me where i can find some track fron this show, i so freak out for each song

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Anonymous, I feel your pain!! lol the music is great. So are the tunes from their website youregoingtodieinthere.com. Youtube has some kind people that have set up AHS playlists, thank the Gods! They don't seem to be really thorough but it's something...Other than that, no soundtrack...yet!!! They will likely have my money when they decide to get that going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RUBBERMAN IS TATE AAND INFANTATA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In terms of the music - someone put a pretty comprehensive list up on IMDb here and their YouTube playlist is here.

    ReplyDelete