Tuesday, November 29, 2011

American Horror Story: Tate is Rubber Man Pt. 2

One of the things I find strange about American Horror Story is the way it slowly lets the air out of each twist before we actually get to it. We knew Tate was dead before it was officially revealed. We knew the school shooting had actually happened before we met the Dead Breakfast Club. And we knew Constance was his mom before she actually said it out loud.  

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon in American Horror Story: Rubber Man
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon in American Horror Story: Rubber Man
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon in American Horror Story: Rubber Man
The internet was pretty confident that Tate was Rubber Man before last week's episode. It's funny because Tate was the number one suspect after the first couple episodes. Then the suspicion sort of wore off until right before last Wednesday when random spoilers went all leaky online. Those spoilers gave me a good solid six hours to absorb and accept that Tate was the Rubber Man before the show even confirmed the information.

Evan Peters shirtless Tate Langdon Taissa Farmiga as Violet Harmon Tate and Violet in bed on American Horror Story
Evan Peters shirtless Tate Langdon Taissa Farmiga as Violet Harmon Tate and Violet in bed on American Horror Story
The thing is, I don't necessarily have a problem with him being the Rubber Man. I can buy that there are two sides to Tate - one side does all the dirty work, the other side is very confused and young. I can also buy that he has some weird need to help out women like Nora who treat him more like a son than his mother ever did.

Evan Peters shirtless Tate Langdon Taissa Farmiga as Violet Harmon Tate and Violet in bed on American Horror Story
Evan Peters shirtless Tate Langdon Taissa Farmiga as Violet Harmon Tate and Violet in bed on American Horror Story
Evan Peters shirtless Tate Langdon Taissa Farmiga as Violet Harmon Tate and Violet in bed on American Horror Story
What I keep getting hung up on is the brutal and compassionless murder of Chad and Patrick. They are going to have to give Tate one jacked-up backstory for the sodomizing-with-a-firepoker thing to even make sense. And then his line about the romantic nature of them being trapped together forever. Did he mean that? It sounded genuine. Was that good Tate, rationalizing after the fact or was it still Tate Prime? Or am I crazy with this whole double-Tate business and is the show not as clever as I'm hoping? 

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon in American Horror Story: Rubber Man Evan Peters AHS Tate
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon in American Horror Story: Rubber Man Evan Peters AHS Tate
Either way, the ending with Tate and Violet was creepy. He's pleased that he prevented Violet from leaving and she suddenly realizes that she was a major bitch to her mom. And Violet hears Vivian say that she wasn't shooting at Ben but at the rapist in the rubber suit. So what does Violet know? Or think she knows? How much will be too much? She already knows he shot up a school - and she seemed able to get over that...

If you can get over me shooting up a school, surely we can move past me knocking up your mom... 
Right? 
I thought so.
I'm not sure this duality thing is going to be explained much more. It might just be the way Tate is. We see it and we can determine for ourselves when he's being genuine and when he's being twisted and evil. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. Vagueness isn't my favorite quality in a television character. But either way, Tate being Rubber Man means Evan Peters has more to do. And that's a reveal I can get behind.

9 comments:

  1. I'm starting to get the feeling that Violet isn't actually dead like a lot of people seem to think, and that Tate will end up killing her in order to keep her in the house. Just a theory though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think she's dead myself, i just hope they don't have him get her pregnant too. Something tells me they would go that far since they have already boarded the crazy train...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok i need your report for chapter 10 and thanks for help me to find soundtracks from the show <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wednesday. Wednesday. Wednesday. WHY is it 2 days off?? I hate this wait! Man. It just seems to get longer. UGH. I wish there were other things as awesome as AHS. I have already watched the eps at least twice. Any recommendations on how to ease the AHS-wait suffering ? Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julzrael, I feel your pain. And it's going to be so much worse after December 21!

    I don't know how to ease the suffering except by suggesting other angsty teens (Skins UK Series 1 and 2) and angsty ghost romances (Being Human UK Series 3). All on Netflix.

    And I'll have a few new Tate screen-caps on Tuesday but otherwise, we'll just have to suffer until Wednesday night :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. THANK YOU, River Styx, for my *much* needed fix.
    I feel better :-) and I think I just may be not the only one wondering ...but after that eagerly anticipated yet dreaded Dec. 21st comes and goes...when does the second season begin?I know, pathetic, right?! LOL!! I found no dates online, but I only searched a bit...sigh. Also, more of a rhetoric question,but why oh why are scenes where Tate tears up so satisfying??? and we get both Romeo and Juliet tearing up on that one. All I have to say is Go Team Violate!:-) Plus more sighing:-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm watching these online and i totally love this show.. i just don't wanna believe that tate was the rubber man all the time.. :D but i so loved the skeleton 'tattoo' on his face in the memories in umm.. chapter 1? :D gaaaah, and I'm finnish, just hoping that the show would be on tv here.. bad quality on those internet stuffs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your screen caps are brilliant. Seriously, they make me love this show even more.

    ReplyDelete