Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Mama's Boy: Jimmy Darmody

Hands up. Who didn't know Gretchon Mol was playing Jimmy Darmody's mother the first time you saw them together (pictured below) on Boardwalk Empire.

Hello, son! I'm pretty much topless!  Is that weird?
Not at all, Mother. Wrap your legs around my back and I'll hold you by the bare thighs. That'll make it even more normal.

No scene between them has been quite so odd as that first one. The "I used to kiss his little winky" line was creepster, but it was just something she said. They've done a lot this year to establish Jimmy's character in relation to his mother. In fact, most of his actions hinge on it. She's why he's working against Nucky. She's the one telling him how to act and how he must be perceived.
Michael Pitt on Boardwalk Empire You have really nice ears, Nuck. Jimmy with Nucky Thompson

I love what the show did in the two scenes pictured below. First, his mother did his nails for him. She's in control. She's the adult, he's the child. He does what he's told. 
Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire with Gretchen Mol
Later, we're brought right back to that scene after he has difficult night with both Nucky and his natural father. Having him look down at his nails was the perfect way to show us what he was thinking, thus bringing his mother's influence back to our attention.

Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire
Boardwalk Empire is a beautifully shot show with a lot of talented actors. But most of the storylines, including Jimmy's, are under-serviced. I always want more Jimmy, more Nucky, more Agent Van Alden, and more Margaret. I wish they would omit all scenes that don't contain one of those characters. I, personally, would be far more interested if that were the way of things. But... Michael Pitt is super intense and he's got great lips. So I'll keep watching. Because that's how I do.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not going to lie, he was approximately 97% of why I enjoy(ed?) Boardwalk Empire.

    Ninety-seven percent?? Really? He wasn't even 50% of why I enjoyed "BOARDWALK EMPIRE". Hey, I liked the character very much. He was interesting. But for me, he wasn't the end-all of the series. And I'm already looking forward to Season 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say? I'm a Michael Pitt fan and I started watching the show because I knew he was involved. I'll watch season three, but I have to admit, the prospect of lots of old white men arguing about land doesn't thrill me.

    ReplyDelete