Tuesday, December 13, 2011

American Horror Story: A Langdon Family Dinner

There were a lot of great scenes on last week's American Horror Story. One of my favorites was the very first; a scene I have lovingly titled A Langdon Family Dinner. 

This was our first real look at Tate: The Living Teenager. We'd seen Tate: The Psycho School Shooter, Tate: The Love-Sick Ghost, Tate: The Murderous Ghost, and Tate: The Rubber Man. But normal-ish kid who eats dinner with his sister, mom,  and mom's boyfriend, we hadn't really met him before.

Rub a dub dub thanks for the stockpile of weapons under my bed that I'm going to use to massacre high schoolers.
Just look at that happy little family. Such domestic bliss.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story Smoldering Children
The thing that really struck me about this scene was how almost normal Tate seemed. Yeah, he has a temper. That's obvious. But basically he's a screwed up teenager who hates his mom's new boyfriend. Okay, so, YEAH, that boyfriend happened to murder Tate's brother and was also sort of responsible for his own wife and children's deaths...

Details details.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story Smoldering Children
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story Smoldering Children
Other things I love about this scene: Tate calls Constance Constance. In the scene where she smacks the shit out of him, I loved that he called her mom. But in this scene, I love the biting way he says Constance and Lawrence.  I love that he breaks the plate when he slams his fist down. I love that he tells his mom that Beau only suffered because of her. And, of course, I love that Constance makes him cry. 

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story Smoldering Children
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story Smoldering Children
Evan Peters NO, ADDIE! There are SO many musicals better than Brigadoon! AHS
Speaking of Brigadoon...

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story Smoldering Children
According to ye' ole Wikipedia, "It tells the story of a mysterious Scottish village that appears for only one day every hundred years, though to the villagers, the passing of each century seems no longer than one night. The enchantment is viewed by them as a blessing rather than a curse, for it saved the village from destruction. According to their covenant with God, no one from Brigadoon may ever leave, or the enchantment will be broken and the site and all its inhabitants will disappear into the mist forever."

What are you saying? Am I going to be trapped in a musical town forever?!
Evan Peters Crying Couldn't it at least be better msuical like American Idiot? American Horror Story
Tate Langdon crying Come on! RENT at least? American Horror Story
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon cries on American Horror Story Smoldering Children
Constance's final line of the scene is, "Just a smile or a kind word could open the gates to heaven." What if that's more literal than it seems? What if Tate somehow has the power to release them all from the house? What if, like Brigadoon, one of them getting the chance to leave (like Violet) means the rest of them will disappear into the mist forever?

Did you all see Ausiello's blind item yesterday about a freshman series moving to NYC for its second season? I'm a little worried he's talking about American Horror Story. In fact, I'm more than a little worried. I flat out think he is. And I think Tate and Violet will be gone after this season. I hope hope hope I'm wrong. Just like I hoped I was wrong about Jimmy Darmody but we all know where those chips landed. I still have my fingers crossed, but I have to admit, it's not looking good. I plan to make the best of this angst while it lasts.

5 comments:

  1. Ok a couple of things. Ok three.
    1)Why do you feel so certainly that it's AHS Ausiello is talking about? Man, do I hope NOT!
    2) I love Tate and Violet. Utterly. Completely. I will be so unpleased if we don't get to see them in their unlives anymore. Really? srsly? Please. SIGH!!!
    3)and I am finding it very hard to resist not reading spoilers of the last 2 eps I saw online. Really? Post spoilers of the last 2 online when the tension is so high? I want this person strung up by some appendage. A painful one.
    Ok 4) I really love what you write about Tate and AHS. You do a great job, a funny job, a witty job, and I totally "get" the things you write - job (that was really not apropos of anything. i just had to throw in the last "job" to make it even or something). If we don't get more of Tate & Vi next season, thanks for getting out what I have been feeling. 'Cus it helps, somehow. it helps The ANGST. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which part of "A Langdon Family Dinner" do you think Norman Rockwell would paint? :-) So much opportunity for a perfectly preserved Rockwellian moment, don'tcha think? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. The thing with the Ausiello thing is I can't think of another freshman show whose move to NYC would be a spoiler for the show. Lots of people have guessed Revenge, but that doesn't seem to be a show spoiler at all. Everyone assumes it'll move to NYC.

    I'm really hoping it's something else. But I have a strong feeling AHS will be headed to The Big Apple. But! Maybe Ryan Murphy has come up with some brilliant way to keep the season one characters around anyway?! One can hope.

    And thanks so much for all your comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're right about the Ausiello thing referring to AHS. And I think it'll involve a complete cast and story change. Sort of like an anthology show, with each new season being a new horror story.

    I was trying to decide whether I'd still watch the show minus the Tate angst and I guess I would still watch it, but I wouldn't be reading blogs about it or buying any DVDs. It would be a risky move anyway if they did.

    I also think Tate might be the big bad of this show. I think everything he does and says has been a manipulation (including using 'I love you' as a magic cure-all) and I think he knows that a baby born of spirit and human is evil.

    Anyway, I'm enjoying your blogs about the show and hashing out theories in my daydreams!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "NO, ADDIE! There are SO many musicals better than Brigadoon!" Best. Commentary. EVER. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete