Thursday, December 22, 2011

American Horror Story Finale: What It Means For Season Two

Okay. Having just checked IMDb, obviously a lot of people read this finale differently than I did.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on the American Horror Story season one finale
I got the impression Ryan Murphy was leaving himself wide open to try and corral all these actors back for season two, especially Jessica Lange. And - it seems they were all being honest when they said they didn't know if they'd be back.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on the American Horror Story season one finale
From this point, anything could happen. But to my mind, the very very positive thing is that no one "crossed over," there was no insaneo it's-all-in-Ben's-head twist, no ridiculous so-in-so is really so-in-so, no random move to New York. The finale was all about the characters we've known all season and the crazy murder house. And if Ryan Murphy was being truthful when he said the finale would hint at season two, it seems to me that season two will be about Tate's evil spawn kid. As long as Constance lives next door to the murder house, anyone could be back.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon and Taissa Farmiga as Violet kiss on the American Horror Story season one finale
In terms of Tate and Violet, I think as a stand alone season, sure. They're over. For now. But season two hasn't been written. And Tate just said he'd wait forever. That leaves... well forever.

I know Ryan Murphy said he doesn't think she'd ever talk to him again, but remember when he said half the cast of Glee was leaving? I think we've learned that sometimes he means what he says and sometimes things change. AND ALSO it's not even up to JUST him. But even if that's the end of Violet and Tate as a couple, I really do believe Tate will be back. Especially if season two revolves around his anti-christ kid. I think it's more likely that The Harmons are gone forever than Tate.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on the American Horror Story season one finale
The point is, Ryan Murphy hasn't closed any doors yet. And that, for now, makes me happy.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon and Kate Mara as Hayden on the American Horror Story season one finale
I really do believe all our favorites will be back next year, whether as series regulars or occasional ghosts who just pop up. And even if I'm totally wrong, I'm just really glad it wasn't all in Ben's head.

**Update: Door slammed WAY shut

2 comments:

  1. I agree 100% with everything you said. I haven't checked with the blogosphere yet, but my personal opinion is that most of the characters (at least, anyone who will sign) will be back in S2.

    I thought it was slightly suspicious that the season finale was trimmed from almost two hours to just a little over an hour. To me, that points to a different ending - maybe the "new season, new house, new cast" that was rumored. By trimming out everything definitive (I'm guessing), it does appear that Murphy has left the door "wide open."

    Still, I think the trimming hurt the overall tone/pace of the finale. I'm happy with where it ended, but it seemed a little anti-climactic. My favorite part of the episode would have to be the Ben/Tate interaction. Ben TOTALLY nailed Tate, poured scorn on him, and otherwise redeemed his former weepy self. Way to grow a spine, Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love tate. tate have my children?

    ReplyDelete