Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Angst Initiate: Caleb Rivers of Pretty Little Liars

I'm going to go ahead and admit that before beginning this post, I had no idea what Caleb's last name was on Pretty Little Liars. In fact, I have trouble keeping the name Caleb in my head at all because I actually think Tyler Blackburn is a better name for an angsty character.

Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers on Pretty Little Liars does illegal stuff
Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers on Pretty Little Liars
The first season of Pretty Little Liars, I was severely disappointed with the variety in the male population. They were all boy-band clones (except for dear Toby...) and it was hard to tell them apart. Angsties simply can't be so... clean. There's usually something a little dirty or scruffy about the best tortured souls because they're too busy dealing with internal anguish to worry about getting their hair trimmed every six weeks. But hey, that's part of why we love them.

Tyler Blackburn in an ugly hat as Caleb Rivers on Pretty Little Liars
I was incredibly pleased with the appearance of Caleb. Just check out that hair, man. From his look alone, we could see that this boy was going to be troubled.

Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers on Pretty Little Liars
On the surface we have: abandoned by family (and serious mommy issues that go along with that), homeless and living in the school (hello Luke Brower...), and a fair few criminal tendencies. All these angst qualities aside, I think Tyler Blackburn is the most attractive dude on the show. Sure, he's a little on the pretty side (and sometimes looks eerily like Michael Jackson) but here at The Angst Report, pretty isn't a problem.

Tyler Blackburn gets emotional as Caleb Rivers on Pretty Little Liars
Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers cries and kisses Ashley Benson as Hanna Marin on Pretty Little Liars
I also love him because he's half of the best romantic pairing on the show. When Caleb left Hanna to go visit his mom, I was disappointed. I think Hanna is most interesting when she's with him. The two of them have a lot of chemistry; their hook-up scene was one of the better steamy scenes I've seen in the past few television seasons, and I watch a LOT of HBO and Showtime. (More on their hook-up in a future post!) These two crazy kids sizzle together. And I think they're the only couple on the show that really does.

Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers and Ashley Benson as Hanna Marin on Pretty Little Liars in the shower
Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers and Ashley Benson as Hanna Marin on Pretty Little Liars in the shower
Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers and Ashley Benson as Hanna Marin on Pretty Little Liars in the shower
I'm looking forward to seeing more of Caleb in the future and I hope they do some fun stuff with him and Hanna. Pretty Little Liars returns the same night as The Lying Game. I'm pumped! Are you?

2 comments:

  1. Now I consider watching the show based on these screencaps

    anyway,i've been looking around and i can't believe you forgot My So-Called Life.
    more precisely...jordan catalon.There's some angst in him.

    ps:i really like your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And you're right, I'll have to do some sort of "Gone But Not Forgotten" series where I talk about the great Angsty characters of the past. Jordan Catalano would definitely be on there.

    ReplyDelete