Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Romeo And Juliet 2: American Horror Story's Tate and Violet

First off: did you all see the E! Online article yesterday that quoted Evan Peters as saying, "After the break, I feel like I could come back and attack it, you know? Like twice as hard. And I think it would be really awesome to get back in there and do some more stuff and stretch myself a little bit more." It's not rock solid proof of anything. But it gives me hope...

And now on to today's post:

So what happened after Romeo and Juliet died? They spent eternity trapped in a haunted house. Duh. 

It took me a while to get back to Violet and Tate in Smoldering Children, but this episode had some of my favorite Violet/Tate scenes of the series. (Unlike last week's episode which I found pretty damn depressing in terms of Violet and Tate. But more on that tomorrow!) 

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story with Taissa Farmiga as Violet Smoldering Children
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story with Taissa Farmiga as Violet Smoldering Children
The first thing I loved about the Tate/Violet drama of this episode was that Tate yelled at her. When Violet asked him if he'd hurt Ben, he was all, "NO! I told you. Gar gar gar I'm yelling gar." I liked that. It showed he can lose his temper with her. Which I appreciate.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story with Taissa Farmiga as Violet Smoldering Children
Also - can we just take a moment and admire how fun his hair is? I'm a hair gal - I like fellows to have a fair amount of it. So what if he probably can't see? So what if he has to dye it every five minutes so his roots don't show (or show just the right amount)? So what, I say! Keep the locks, bro. Please.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon tries to prevent Violet dead Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon tries to prevent Violet dead Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon tries to prevent Violet dead Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story
Okay. So then Tate chased her around the house. That was fun too! He's trying to stop her because he knows how freaked she'll be when she can't get out. He's trying to protect her from freaked-out-ness and all he's doing is freaking her out. It was freaky!

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon tries to prevent Violet from learning she's dead
Then we have the trek into the walls. Assuming Tate is genuinely in love with Violet (and I believe he is), it made me ponder about how crappy it would have been for him to drag her corpse into the walls after failing to save her.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon tells Violet she's dead on American Horror Story
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon tells Violet she's dead on American Horror Story
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon cries as he tells Violet she's dead on American Horror Story
Then Tate told her the story. Before this episode, what bothered me most about the Violet is dead theory was that I assumed if she was, it would mean that she had died before he dragged her down the hall. I'm glad that wasn't the case. I didn't understand why ghost-her would be unconscious. Or why ghost-her would throw up. But I appreciate that the death and body removal was somewhere between the scene in the tub and the scene in her room later.

I'm also assuming the scene in her room was the first time Tate was seeing ghost her. The emotion in that scene is so lovely the second time around. Knowing that he knows she's dead. And he offers to leave her alone - even though he knows she's not going anywhere now.



By the end, it's clear that Tate has known he was dead all along. And he tried to save Violet anyway. I like that. He might be a compassionless monster most of the time, but she's his weak spot. If anyone can trust him, it's her.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story AHS Tate Evan Peters AHSFX
And, also, I think this might be one of my new favorite screen-caps.

3 comments:

  1. Regarding the last screen cap in your post?

    Yes. Goddamnit. Hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sighhh! :-) Tate and Violet make me smile, and feel all warm and fuzzy inside! I wish they would stick around, together, *for always* ! Happies! I do love him & his devotion to her so.
    The house-chase scenes were great, weren't they? A bit exhilarating!
    Glad you mentioned the hair - I love his hair!! in the attic scene when you couldn't see his eyes I was thinking there wasn't much he could see!
    Also, those words from Evan were encouraging...I heard Ryan might pay a lot of attention to what the fans say. If you think/hear of anywhere on the net he may frequent please post it - because I AM THERE driving up the Keep Evan Peters polls!!!!
    Re;the last screencap here - I can see why it's becoming a fave...! S I G H Mmmmmmm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. agh, such a great article!
    Keep up the good work, I always look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete