Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Top Ten Angsties of 2011 Part 2

Welcome back for Part 2 of The Top Ten Angsties of 2011. Let's get rolling!

5
Coming in at number five: Breaking Bad's Jesse Pinkman

Aaron Paul as Jesse Pinkman on Breaking Bad
Jesse has had much angstier storylines on Breaking Bad than he did this past season. The whole Jane saga coupled with his drug addiction was probably his most tortured phase. But Jesse is never a sunshine and rainbows guy. This season was all about his inner anguish over the murder he committed in the season three finale. Jesse was a mess. Escaping into extravagant parties and willingly walking into danger, he was the picture of self loathing. He essentially spent the season waiting to die. I believe Breaking Bad is the best show on television, and it has twisted right and wrong so many times, it's hard to keep track. But I want Jesse to escape. It's a unique show indeed when the triumph of the murderous, former junkie drop-out would be the triumph of good over evil.

4
Number four: Tim Riggins of Friday Night Lights.

Taylor Kitsch as Tim Riggins on Friday Night Lights Season Five
Taylor Kitsch as Tim Riggins hot on Friday Night Lights
Like Jesse, Tim Riggins has had angstier stuff before. Back when he was a regular cast member on FNL, he was literally and figuratively beat down nearly every week. Maybe it was just nostalgia, but even in a supporting role, on the final season of Friday Night Lights, I found his storyline to be the most engaging. He spent the majority of the season behind bars, having taken the fall for his idiot brother. When he finally gets out, he's understandably pissed at the world. I mean really, there's only so much grace a guy can have. He's lost for a while and it takes the return of another ex-Dylanite to shake him out of it. Tim Riggins is up there on my list of all time favorite television characters. And should a Friday Night Lights movie ever come to fruition, I hope he features prominently.

3
Cracking the top three: Mitchell on Being Human UK (MAJOR Spoiler Warning for Series 3)

Aidan Turner as Mitchell on Being Human
Aidan Turner as Mitchell on Being Human
If you haven't jumped on the Being Human train yet, please, join me. It's a fantastic show and Mitchell is fantastically angsty. I spoiler-warninged up there and here goes with the spoiler: they freaking killed Mitchell in the series 3 finale. That's right. Stake through the heart. At first, I was all, "Blah blah blah. He'll-be-back." But now with Aidan Turner being all integral to The Hobbit, I'm willing to concede I was probably wrong. I think Mitchell is gone. I think they finally had him pay for all his sins. Story-wise, it actually made sense. It's just super sad to see him go. AND they had his BFF do it. Tears and sorrow, man. Tears and sorrow.

2
Runner up for angstiest character of 2011: Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire

Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire after sleeping with is mom
Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody on Boardwalk Empire after sleeping with is mom
Unlike Mitchell up there, the death of Jimmy Darmody did not make a lot of sense storywise. Unfortunately, it felt like behind the scenes shenanigans dictating story choices. There was SO much more for his character to do, so many places for him to go. And for that, Boardwalk Empire, I'm still angry with you. But there's no denying that the incest, wife-death, patricide, and whole being shot in the face thing really hiked him up the angst ladder. I'm going to miss him.

1
And the angstiest boy of 2011? No duh, ya'll. Tate Langdon of American Horror Story.

Evan Peters as Tate Langdon kills the exterminator on American Horror Story
Tate and Ben fight on American Horror Story Evan Peters Dylan McDermott shirtless
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon on American Horror Story
Not a lot of life in the top three. Death IS pretty angsty. Tate was a angst dream come true and the reason I resurrected The Angst Report after a year of collecting digital dust. Tortured, emotionally abused, twisted, stuck in a house, in love, rejected, and forced to pine for Violet forever (or until she forgives him and everything is happily ever after) Tate rocked 2011. Every week brought more tears and more torture. AHS was the highlight of my TV week entirely thanks to him. Like numbers 2 and 3 on this list, I will miss him. Why oh why must the angstiest boys always meet such ends? Just because the character might be donesville - that doesn't mean I can't keep talking about him, right? I mean, I still haven't really talked about the finale!

There you have it, kats and kittens. The top 10 angistiest boys of 2011. Hopefully 2012 brings a whole new crop of fantastic characters and the ones who survived 2011 will be tortured even more. It's mid-season time - so new shows and new hopes. Get psyched! I know I am.

5 comments:

  1. Great list! I will eventually have to look some of the guys up I am not familiar with!! It's an inspiration to look up new stuff!
    Now, on to the meat of the matter, O.B.G.B Tate (Our Beloved Ghost Boy). You have no idea how happy I felt when you were like " I haven't really even talked about the finale yet". I have already watched the entire season AGAIN, and honestly, I REALLY, MOST SINCERELY, CANNOT GET ENOUGH of talking about Tate, about AHS, etc. WHen I say that you could pull apart every single ep again, I mean that I would REWATCH them all just so I could have them fresh to discuss! I LOVE this show. And seriously, so glad to know that someone else feels the same. SO please, I welcome as many more posts and as much AHS oriented stuff as you are happy to post. I wonder, after the academic stir that Buffy caused (Was Angel a Kant-ian hero? Buffy as a savior? Religious parallels,etc), what could further be explored? I already hear feminists having a major seizure about the portrayal of the women in it (but think of Moira's revealing conversation about the Yellow Wallpaper); of how Ben, as a psychiatrist seems clueless (physician heal thyself sort of sitch) See? I welcome any mental wanderings you may have about the show. If it's just OBGB Tate, I am super happy - just please continue. :-) I think it was me that died in the house, because I sure as heck am having a hard time leaving it. LOL
    OBGB Tate deserves every laurel we could heap on his head. Evan Peters brought him so well to life! I hope he continues to make awesome career choices like this one; I imagine scripts like these are few and far, but wise decisions are worth so much in the end. Did you hear about the rap song he was releasing (LOL!!! NO JOKE!!) OMG well, after such a heavy role, the man deserves some playtime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I'm 100% with Julzrael up there (or down there - I can't remember how the comments next *g*)

    AND this list is perfect. Mitchell and Riggs, and Darmody - and of course the PERFECT Mr. Langdon.

    Love the blog. I'm a super!follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I promise, I'll do my best to keep Tate and Violet alive in the blogosphere if nowhere else :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW I hadn't been to this one - lots of behind the scene, on-set pics and TONS of Evan, in general! You might have already seen it but OMG!!! http://americanhorrorstory.wikia.com/
    ENJOY!!! :-) Yay!!! More!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my 2 fave tate videos
    breaking benjamin is my fave band and the one called im not yours anymore is beautiful & a tearjerker.
    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjsXeXsXLazg%26feature%3Dshare&h=YAQEP4OqQAQFGj-CxoE2sL5_U_tZZ48nVH5pLnLwFEpsmjw

    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D3SUiguAs7jM%26feature%3Dshare&h=eAQEiwISYAQGZmqmm3gQpoSeZysDbfRP5FalzvBPJ8RGMxA

    ReplyDelete