Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Angst Initiate: Leon Micheaux on Luck

Anyone been watching HBO's new show Luck? Thus far, I've found the racetrack drama fascinating. Whether or not I actually enjoy the show is still up for debate. It's definitely one of the most pretentious dramas I've ever come across. And apparently, I don't know anything about horse racing. Seeing the behind the scenes happenings has been very intriguing and a wee bit confusing. But... as always, know what my favorite part is? 

The hot guy.

Tom Payne as Leon Micheaux Bug Boy on HBO series Luck jockey on Luck Bug
Meet Leon Micheaux. He's a jockey. He has a brother. He's sounds like he's supposed to be cajun (although poor Tom Payne hasn't quite mastered that accent yet...) That's about all we know so far. 

Tom Payne as Leon Micheaux on HBO series Luck jockey on Luck Bug
You know what's awesome about jockeys? They can't weigh a whole lot. And Leon is worried about being small enough. So he does things like not eat and then subsequently, he passes out.

Tom Payne as jockey Leon Micheaux on HBO series Luck  jockey on Luck Bug
It takes a specific sort of ick to skeeve me out. Gore and blood and open wounds - eh. It's all latex and Ben Nye. But the sound this kid's head made when it connected with tile sent a shiver down my spine. Well done sound people.

Tom Payne as jockey Leon Micheaux "Bug Boy" on HBO series Luck Leon Micheaux 
Tom Payne as jockey Leon Micheaux "Bug Boy" on HBO series Luck Leon Micheaux 
Tom Payne as jockey Leon Micheaux "Bug Boy" on HBO series Luck Leon Micheaux 
The other thing I like about Leon's character is that he's one of very few people on the show who doesn't seem to be evil or manipulative in any way. He's just a dumb kid. And I believe he doesn't have a ton of career options beyond being a jockey. His stakes are pretty high and I understand that just by virtue of his characterization. I don't really get the stakes for most of the other characters because I don't totally understand what's going on with them...

Tom Payne as jockey Leon Micheaux on HBO series Luck  jockey on Luck Bug
Also, he has a little romance going on with fellow jockey, Rosie. She's a pretty adorable little cliche and I'm behind them 100%.

Tom Payne shirtless as jockey Leon Micheaux "Bug Boy" on HBO series Luck Leon Micheaux 
Tom Payne as jockey Leon Micheaux "Bug Boy" and Kerry Condon as Rosie on HBO series Luck Rosie and Leon
Tom Payne is essentially the only actor under forty on the show. On a series with so many Big Name Acting Legends, I'm worried they won't have time or room to give him much. But I hope I'm wrong. I have my fingers crossed they'll use him to broaden the appeal of the show as time goes on. Because right now, it feels like Luck is for the 40+ white, male demographic. And... that's not so much me.

2 comments:

  1. omg leon caracter is my fav :)
    and tom payne so good actor :)
    thank you so much this entry :)
    one question leon carahter is what descent?
    laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. They refer to him as "The Cajun" so he's probably supposed to be from the southern United States, New Orleans-ish, and judging by his last name and accent, he'd be of distant French descent. But... I don't think Tom Payne has quite mastered the very specific accent of that region. Which is okay - he's totally cute anyway :)

    ReplyDelete