Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentines Day: 5 Doomed Supernatural Loves

Happy Valentines Day! Here at The Angst Report, who needs flowers and candy when we can live vicariously through incredibly attractive television characters?  (Is that funny or just really sad?) No matter! Below, I present 5 Amazingly Doomed (maybe...) Supernatural Television Loves. Get ready for Humans, and Vampires, and Ghosts! Oh my!

Eric and Godric
True Blood
(Vampire/Vampire)

I have never loved True Blood so much as I did when Godric was around. (I keep meaning to give him his own post, but I haven't quite gotten there yet). Not only is Godric a young-looking SUPER old vampire (which is a type of vampire I find endlessly fascinating) but he was the first character Eric seemed to truly care about. Loyalty and devotion weren't really attributes associated with him pre-Godric. Plus, Allan Hyde, who portrayed Godric, was great at bringing a sense of ancient wisdom and calm to the character. It was a treat to watch and I was pretty displeased when he went poof. At least we'll always have flashbacks/ghosty-hallucinations.

Allan Hyde as Godric and Alexander Skarsgard as Eric Northman on True Blood Godric and Eric
Allan Hyde as Godric and Alexander Skarsgard as Eric Northman on True Blood Godric and Eric
Damon and Elena
The Vampire Diaries
(Vampire/Human)

They might not be doomed. But until proven otherwise, I'm going to assume Elena will end up with Stefan. I'm not over the moon about Elena herself - but Damon being in love with her is a lot of fun. As a character who is constantly being looked over in favor of his less insanely-hot brother, I root for Delena just because I want someone to finally choose him over Stefan. But also, the more they use his love of Elena to torture him, the more fun he is to watch. So either way, I'm happy.

Nina Dobrev as Elena and Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore on The Vampire Diaries Damon and Elena Delena
Nina Dobrev as Elena and Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore on The Vampire Diaries Damon and Elena Delena
Angel and Buffy
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
(Vampire/Human)

Angel and Buffy. Sigh. I'm never going to get over the whole Spike business. Yes - there are people out there who preferred him to Angel. And those people are insane. Buffy and Angel was the promise of the show. Angel was so loved, they gave him his own series. It's like we got punished for loving him too much. Again...sigh. In the beginning, what was so great about Angel was that he was unique. Buffy took place in a world where vampires are evil. They don't get to choose to be good like the vampires of today. They were soulless, killing monsters. Angel was The One with a soul. It was a curse. It was torturous. And with a soul, he could love. It was the ultimate Romeo and Juliet.

David Boreanaz as Angel on Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3 episode Beauty and the Beasts 
David Boreanaz as Angel on Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3 episode Beauty and the Beasts 
Mitchell and Annie
Being Human (U.K.)
(Vampire/Ghost)

Spoiler alert! This is the only pairing on the list where I love the girl as much as the guy. Annie is a great character and her sweetness is incredibly endearing. Mitchell is a moody character and therefore the perfect contrast to Annie. He went to purgatory to save her and then basically spent the third season coming to terms with why they could never be together. Poor Annie and Mitchell. And poor me. I'm going to miss Mitchell (and George! WTF!). I wish British television shows would contract their stars for more than one season at a time. In my mind, Annie will eventually join Mitchell on the other side and they'll "live" happily ever after.

Lenora Crichlow as Annie and Aidan Turner as Mitchell on Being Human Season 3 Mitchell and Annie
Lenora Crichlow as Annie and Aidan Turner as Mitchell on Being Human Season 3 Mitchell and Annie
Tate and Violet
American Horror Story
(Ghost/Ghost)

Only doomed because Ryan Murphy's attention span seems to be nil, I refuse to believe they don't eventually find their way back to one another. The way I see it, Tate atones for all his sins and Violet goes stir crazy being trapped in a house with her parents for eternity (seriously - who would want that?). Blah. It sucks we won't see them again. Whatever, Ryan Murphy. Whatever.

Tate Langdon and Violet Harmon on American Horror Story Evan Peters and Taissa Farmiga Tate and Violet AHS
Tate Langdon and Violet Harmon on American Horror Story Evan Peters and Taissa Farmiga Tate and Violet in bed
There you have it! Five of my favorite pairings that give "until death do us part" a whole new meaning. Television teaches us that if your love-life sucks, just wait and maybe you'll have a rocking love-death. We can all hope, right?

5 comments:

  1. I knew Tate and Violet would be coming but it still didn't stop me from screaming like a fangirl when that first picture rolled up. Damn that Ryan Murphy, always messing with my favourite couples.

    ReplyDelete
  2. River, as always, you hit nails on the head like you're a carpenter...that makes nails-only stuff, like beds of nails, and those little touchable nail-things that you leave an imprint of your hand in ;-) hahaha!
    I can only comment on the 2 of this bunch I have seen and am TRULY, MADLY, DEEPLY *STILL* in love with.
    OK. You are right. Soak it up :-) Angel and Buffy *were* the promise of BTVS, and I really, always wanted them together. And certain things tore my heart out, like the dream-scene in the ep directly after she kills him (I think) where she is on the beach, in the sunset, and warm hands caress around her, and we pull back to reveal ANGEL nuzzling into her hair, in the beautiful light. Makes me get a little choked-uppy just recalling it. I wanted them. And it was torturous...I *STILL* love this show, and watch it whenever I need to (i find it is really good for a lift during depressed times).
    And Our Violate. Ohhhh Ryan created something that we all wanted to end happily. And just like you, I hope they will go exactly as you predicted. By the time you got to "Whatever, Ryan Murphy. Whatever." I literally said out loud, "I love you, River Styx!". You took the words right outta my heart. (CHEESE MO! LOL oh that NEEDS to be an 80's lyric...oh, wait...well, close enough(Meatloaf)) This couple just obsessed me and murdered me and buried me with Phil, and they have been robbed from us TOO SOON! LOL MOOOOOORE~!
    And...I know the whole Spike thing wasn't right, but he did love her...and he is a great actor. But Angel and Buffy should have been solid.
    Thanks for continuing to supply the awesome!~ :-D Peace!~ Happy Bloody Valentine's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the 1st anonymous & julzrael said it all! loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO with you on the Buffy/Angel business. Hardcore Buffy fan from way back ;)

    As far as Tate/Violet, and the amazing paragraph you wrote about them... I too don't buy that they'd never find their way back to one another... not one bit. Like you said, being trapped in that house for all eternity together. All that sexual tension their forever teenage hormones are emitting. No way, jose. I betcha it'll take less than 5 years before Violet let's him back "into her" (sigh, the images of hot Tate/Violet make up sex is fogging up my brain).

    Wish I had caught onto the show when it first aired, and not almost 2 years later :(

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete