Tuesday, February 28, 2012

No Country For Young Men: Tom Payne as Leon on HBO's Luck

I'm still digging on Leon. I can't overstate the importance of having one young, healthy, vibrant person existing in this cast. In an ensemble where everyone is somewhere on the pathetic -- criminal spectrum, Leon (and Rosie) bring the life like a toddler in an old folks home. 

Tom Payne as jockey Leon Micheaux and Richard Kind as his agent Joey on HBO series Luck bug
Aww, Leon. He's working so hard to make weight. I only run when I'm chased. Leon runs to lose three ounces. Early in last week's episode, he got crazy excited about riding the big-deal horse that won the Goff's Million. (Yeah - I know what I'm talking about...) Look how thrilled he seems that he gets to ride a horsey!

Tom Payne as jockey Leon Micheaux bug on HBO series Luck
But then SHOCK! It's taken away from him. Look how shocked he looks!

I like the idea of the agent/jockey relationship. Richard Kind's stutter is something less than audial ambrosia, but he sticks up for Leon. Call me a sucker, but I like rooting for the dumb kid with the big dreams. It's sweet. It's endearing. And so far, it feels like he deserves success more than a fair few of the other characters.

Tom Payne as jockey Leon Micheaux bug on HBO series Luck
I love this shot.
Tom Payne as jockey Leon Micheaux bug on HBO series Luck
Poor Leon. All he wants is to ride horses. If it were up to me, I'd always put the prettiest boy on the prettiest horse. But clearly that's not exactly what Dustin Hoffman's character is going for. At least Leon got $5,000 for being fired. That's more than most of us get for not riding horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment