Friday, February 17, 2012

Once Upon A Time: A Difficult Man To Love

I didn't think I'd ever have cause to talk about Rumpelstiltskin again, but I was wrong. I'm a little obsessed with him. I've been thinking a lot lately about how supernatural shows absolutely must must must have some humor or they become too ridiculous to enjoy.  Robert Carlyle is responsible for the lion's share of the laughs on Once Upon A Time. And he's so good at it.

Robert Carlyle as Rumpelstiltskin on ABC show Once Upon A Time
Obviously, because Robert Carlyle is awesome, he's great at all the non-humor stuff too. Is there anything more fun than a villain that makes you laugh!? I love it. 

Robert Carlyle as Rumpelstiltskin on ABC show Once Upon A Time
Last Sunday, we got the tale of Beauty and the Beast with Rumpelstiltskin cast as our monster. The best thing about this take on the story is that should he and Belle actually hook up, there's no bestiality involved. I enjoy twisted but even I have a line...

Robert Carlyle as Rumpelstiltskin kisses Belle Emilie de Ravin on ABC show Once Upon A Time
Anyway. Stories of ladies melting evil hearts is a particular favorite of mine. (Like Caroline and Klaus!) And in this universe, where breaking Rumpelstiltskin's curse would mean The Queen wins is a fun dilemma. It's evil vs. evil.

Robert Carlyle as Mr. Gold on ABC Once Upon A Time Rumpelstiltskin ABC
Of course, one of these evils has the weakness of true love and therefore he wins all the sympathy. This show better not break the promise of fairytale endings because when it finally reaches its series finale, hopefully many years from now, I expect Rumpelstiltskin to have found his courage and his curse to be broken. You hear me, OUAT!? Don't let me down, or else!

Robert Carlyle as Rumpelstiltskin on Once Upon A Time This girl. Emilie de Ravin as Belle on ABC
And also - I'm really glad he didn't kill Mrs. Potts or Chip.


4 comments:

  1. Yay! Rumpel post! :D

    I hope they get some measure of happy ending, I suppose it just depends how long the show goes on for. Fingers crossed for some Belle / Rumpel redemption.

    I heard there's going to be an episode exploring what happened to Rumpelstiltskin's son as well, father angst! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rumple! He's the best character in the whole OUAT! And Skin Deep is my absolute favourite episode. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert Carlyle is one of the best actors of his generation. There's no doubt to that. Absolutely adore him in anything he does since The Full Monty.
    And I'm glad I'm one of the few to think he's hot as a kettle, that man, seriously, I want my husband to still make me drool at 51. :D

    PS: I adooore your site, subscribed to it, purely genius! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I'm SO looking forward to season two of Once Upon A Time!! Can't wait to see where they go next.

    ReplyDelete