Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Vampire Diaries Flashback: Damon Lays Dying

With Vampire Diaries gone for a bit, I thought I'd look back at one of my favorite episodes that aired pre-Angst Report. One of the best things about supernatural television shows is just how often they can have their characters reach the brink of death before being pulled back. 

Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore on The Vampire Diaries Season 2 Finale As I Lay Dying
Vampire Diaries almost kills everyone pretty much all the time. Like - how many times has Alaric almost been killed? In fact, he's currently in a state of might-be-killed. You'd think we'd all get annoyed at the crying-werewolf (see what I did there?) but not me. I enjoy pretty much each and every almost-death.

Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore on The Vampire Diaries Season 2 Finale As I Lay Dying
Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore on The Vampire Diaries Season 2 Finale As I Lay Dying
Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore and Nina Dobrev as Elena The Vampire Diaries Season 2 Finale As I Lay Dying
One of the bests was Damon's slow demise in the season two finale. While the makeup crew went slightly overboard with the sweaty sheen, it was still pretty damn sweet. The Florence Nightingale effect was in full swing with Elena doling out the hugs and comfort.

Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore and Nina Dobrev as Elena The Vampire Diaries Season 2 Finale As I Lay Dying
Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore and Nina Dobrev as Elena The Vampire Diaries Season 2 Finale As I Lay Dying
As I've said before, death is pretty high up on the list of angsty things that can happen to a character. Did anyone believe for even a nano-second that Damon would actually die? Hells no. But that's okay. Watching him suffer near the brink was still crazy-fun.

Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore and Nina Dobrev as Elena The Vampire Diaries Season 2 Finale As I Lay Dying
Damon and Elena kiss as Damon dies on The Vampire Diaries Season 2 Finale As I Lay Dying
Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvatore and Nina Dobrev as Elena The Vampire Diaries Season 2 Finale As I Lay Dying
It actually reminded me of one my favorite Buffy episodes: Graduation Day Part 1. Where Faith poisons Angel and the only thing that can save him is slayer blood. Good times. Speaking of Angel,  my first Gone But Not Forgotton post is on the way. I swearsies!

Physical illness, especially when thrust upon a normally strong character, is incredibly angsty and really fun to watch. Sigh. Poor Damon. Seriously. Who wouldn't want to crawl into bed with him and try and make him feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment