Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Once Upon A Time: Sebastian Stan as Jefferson The Mad Hatter

**Update** For the most recent Jefferson post, click here!

I wasn't planning to talk about anything other than Game of Thrones this week, but last Sunday's Once Upon A Time was just too damn good to ignore.

Sometimes I find Once flat out depressing. The poor Mad Hatter. Or... Jefferson apparently.

Sebastian Stan as Jefferson The Mad Hatter on Once Upon A Time OUAT Season One
First, did anyone other than me watch Kings? It went kersplat so obviously the audience was pretty small. But Sebastian Stan played Prince Jack, the closeted son of the king who acted the part of the womanizing party boy by day. It was delightfully angsty.

Sebastian Stan as Prince Jack on NBC show Kings with Ian McShane
Sebastian Stan as Prince Jack on NBC show Kings with Ian McShane
He's been hanging around Gossip Girl the past few years, but his stellar  turn as The Mad Hatter on Once reminded me why I loved him so much on Kings.

Sebastian Stan as Jefferson The Mad Hatter on Once Upon A Time OUAT Season One
On OUAT, he plays Jefferson, a young father in Fairyland struggling to take care of his daughter. He makes the horrible decision to trust The Queen, taking her to Wonderland in exchange for the money he needs to make his daughter happy. (All she wants is you, Jefferson! Don't go!)  Unfortunately for him, the whore of a queen traps him there, forcing him to go mad as he tries to make a new spinning-world-portal-hat-thing.

Sebastian Stan as Jefferson The Mad Hatter on Once Upon A Time OUAT Season One
Sebastian Stan as Jefferson The Mad Hatter on Once Upon A Time OUAT Season One
In Storybrooke, he remains Jefferson, once again without his daughter. His share in the Queen's curse means he remembers everything about this true life while his daughter does not. She lives across the street with a new family and a new life. He knows he's her father, but he watches from afar as she lives without any knowledge of him. Yeah, that could drive a person mad. It's really very depressing.

Sebastian Stan as Jefferson The Mad Hatter on Once Upon A Time OUAT Season One
Sebastian Stan as Jefferson The Mad Hatter on Once Upon A Time OUAT Season One
He tries so hard to convince Emma that what he's saying is truth. But she refuses to believe. He also had one of my new favorite OUAT lines: "You know what the issue is with this world? Everyone wants some magical solution for their problem and everyone refuses to believe in magic." I do believe in fairies! I do! I do!

Sebastian Stan as Jefferson The Mad Hatter on Once Upon A Time OUAT Season One
Apart from being a really well written character, it was played marvelously. A little crazy, little fun, a little sweet, and awfully angsty. Plus, he's a young dad, which pleases me greatly. Also, I've never hated Emma so much as I did when she swung that telescope at him.

Sebastian Stan as Jefferson The Mad Hatter on Once Upon A Time OUAT Season One
All I can say is that I'm going to be really pissed if this show doesn't eventually get to the happy endings. This guy deserves his happiness. Look at that awesome beheading scar on his neck! v v v Love.

Sebastian Stan as Jefferson The Mad Hatter on Once Upon A Time OUAT Season One
Sebastian Stan is going to be playing, "T.J, a lost soul struggling with addiction — the polar opposite of his “perfect” twin brother, Douglas" on the upcoming USA show, Political Animals. That just might be enough to get me watch something on USA. In the meantime, I look forward to his return to Once Upon A Time!

2 comments:

  1. I think this might be my new favourite episode. I love Jefferson (and his angst overload!) and I love that Emma is considering Henry's books now!

    I've been wondering about those happy endings too, will they snap back to fairy tale land once they get them? Or live them out in our world, outside of the Queen's power? Mmmm.

    Starting to look forward to this show now, regardless of whether Rumpel is in that week's episode. Good signs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn that's for sure after Hat Trick Jefferson definitely took the podium out of Rumple's grip. God knows I'm a huuuge fan of Alice in Wonderland in all of its forms and any Hatter makes my stomach flutter. But Sebastian's made me cry so much I couldn't breathe much. That episode and Skin Deep, seriously, will they ever leave them be?
    Rumple is a sexy beast, that's for sure (Carlyle *shakes fist*) but Stan really gives me gossebumps with those stares he makes.
    I do hope he comes back in second season! :D

    ReplyDelete