Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Not Really Angst Initiate: Jim Harper on HBO's The Newsroom

Oh, man. I pondered whether to write a post on The Newsroom - it's not technically angsty in any way (yet), but John Gallagher Jr. could have been playing a happily married kindergarten teacher living on a large inheritance while taking care of many adorable puppies and I'd still stick him on the angst report. Because he's awesome.

John Gallagher Jr. and Emily Mortimer as Jim Harper and Mackenzie MacHale on HBO The Newsroom Aaron Sorkin 
Pretty much all of Aaron Sokrin's shows have brilliant bromances - but so far - Newsroom isn't following that trend. The closest thing was Mackenzie and Jim. Which I guess is just a plain old friendship. No cutesy term to go along with it. But I felt more spark in their relationship than I did in the relationship between Mackenzie and Will.

John Gallagher Jr. Jim Harper on HBO The Newsroom Aaron Sorkin We Just Decided to Pilot The Newsroom
Jim was essentially perfect. Frankly, he reminded me a bit of Jim Halpert over in The Office land and it wasn't just the names and the offices. Jim Harper kind of felt like the drama-series version of that same guy. Which is delightful - I love that guy.

John Gallagher Jr. and Emily Mortimer as Jim Harper and Mackenzie MacHale on HBO The Newsroom Aaron Sorkin
He had a good first day. He basically won the pilot, talking to sources left and right being 100% correct about every. little. detail. All while being totally adorable and smart. I wonder if he gets sick of being called adorable. I'm sick of saying it. So I shan't say it again.

John Gallagher Jr. Jim Harper on HBO The Newsroom Aaron Sorkin We Just Decided to Pilot The Newsroom
Except that scene at the end between him and Maggie was SO ADORABLE.

John Gallagher Jr. Jim Harper on HBO The Newsroom Aaron Sorkin We Just Decided to Pilot The Newsroom Maggie
Yeah... I shouldn't say things.

John Gallagher Jr. Jim Harper on HBO The Newsroom Aaron Sorkin We Just Decided to Pilot The Newsroom Maggie
I'm looking forward to more of this show and I'm definitely looking forward to more JGalls. It could get angsty - you never know. Lots of Sorkin characters have addictions and dead brothers and horrible fathers. Maybe Jim will get one of those things. At the very least, hopefully he'll get some Jim/Pam type  stuff. Rock on, Newsroom. See you Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment