Monday, July 2, 2012

The Newsroom: Maggie Jordan and Jim Harper

**For thoughts and pics from the season one finale, click here.

Oh, I ship them. I ship them hard.

John Gallagher Jr. Jim Harper The Newsroom News Night 2.0 Jim and Maggie Jim Harper and Maggie Jordan Aaron Sorkin HBO
There are oodles of shows with couples I want together - Damon and Elena, Matthew and Mary, Emmett and Bay, Charming and Snow - but usually, usually, I want couples to hook because either a) the guy is tortured by the lack of girl and I want the guy to finally be happy or b) the guy is tortured by other stuff and I want the girl to comfort him.  I don't typically care about the girl. I either actively dislike her (Sookie) or I'm basically indifferent. Of course, there are exceptions - Veronica Mars was cool - and now I can add Maggie Jordan to that list.

John Gallagher Jr. Jim Harper The Newsroom News Night 2.0 Jim and Maggie Jim Harper and Maggie Jordan Aaron Sorkin HBO
Actually, last night when she said, "I'm sorry, but don't I first open my eyes and notice it's a new day?" she reminded me of someone and it was't until JUST this moment I realized it was Kristen Bell. I think Kristen Bell and Alison Pill have similar voices. This is neither here nor there. As a character, Maggie's mix of intelligence and flustered energy is kind of adorable. Frankly, a lot of Sorkin characters have flustered energy, but I guess that's a side effect of speaking three hundred words a minute. Maggie's easy to sympathize with because she's trying so hard and worrying so much. And her and Jim are just too cute. Apart from the charisma they fling at each other constantly, they're both full of Sorkiny idealism and integrity.

John Gallagher Jr. Jim Harper The Newsroom News Night 2.0 Jim and Maggie Jim Harper and Maggie Jordan Aaron Sorkin HBO
After Maggie screwed up, Jim protected her because he's her boss. And she tried to take her own fall, but like Jim said, everyone takes responsibility for their subordinates. That's what good people do. They don't - as every reality television contestant ever has said - throw one another under the bus. (How often to people literarily get thrown under busses that it's such a common phrase?)

John Gallagher Jr. Jim Harper The Newsroom News Night 2.0 Jim and Maggie Jim Harper and Maggie Jordan Aaron Sorkin HBO
I'm completely content to have Jim and Maggie be a slow build. Their bickering is amongst the best bickering I've ever seen. I want it to last. So it's one of those I-ship-them-but-I-don't-really-want-them together-yet things. Luckily - it looks like 'in the weeks ahead' Jim will be hooking up with Maggie's roommate, Lisa. So I don't have much to worry about there. Good times!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! I want them together SO bad, but I dont want the drama to end! Jim is so amazing and perfect for her, and Maggie's boyfriend is a total jerk, so I really want Maggie to open her eyes and realize the perfect guy is right in front of her!!! One exception: I have a huge crush on Jim, so I might just get super jealous! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just discovered your blog, and I LOVE it! I completely agree with you. It's so much more fun to watch two characters dance around each other trading the verbal equivalents of pig-tails dipped in ink wells for a while. So, while I hope Jim and Maggie end up together eventually (and hopefully well before Josh and Donna did on West Wing), I'm content to just watch it play out. I really love Maggie as a character. I can relate to the "flustered energy" thing. And, I agree with the previous poster: I have a huge crush on Jim as well! Could he be more perfect?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Thanks, guys!

    I too share your Jim Crush. No fair that Maggie gets to have all the fun. Can you believe there's only one episode left? The season went by way too fast!

    ReplyDelete